Thursday, August 8, 2013

Being Sociable

The state, in its bureaucratic wisdom, uses some of the money available to those trying to live independently to encourage them to be sociable, to be engaged in their communities.  Of course, arbitrary rules define what being sociable is for the purpose of accessing that money.  It turns out that if, for example, I leave my apartment, get my mail, and say "hi" to whoever might be there, that counts for being sociable and getting the money for the aide hours I need.  If I talk to my aides and get to know them, that seems not to count.  If I email people all over the world, engaging in discussions with them to accomplish a social good, that is not as sociable as saying "hi" to random strangers.

This is what happens when bureaucrats and politicians get too much time and too much power.  Its also what happens when individuals can't figure out ways to support themselves.

No comments:

Post a Comment