Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Sleeping Aides

As I understand it, the aides who do the overnight shift are supposed to stay awake to be ready when I need them, but that doesn't always happen.  I never really thought it would, and it's generally not a problem.

Sometimes, however, I have a tough time waking them up.  I'll yell and yell because I need the bathroom, and I can hear the aide snoring away.  When I finally get them up, they do a good job, but getting them up can take several minutes.  You'd think if they knew they were to be on duty all night the aides would try to get naps in beforehand.  Maybe they do-- or maybe they can't.  Who knows.  If they can't because they need to work that much to make ends meet, we are back to a basic weakness in the system that needs to be addressed as part of a larger reform.

No comments:

Post a Comment