Monday, July 30, 2012

Nitty Gritty

We are now at the point in the process of getting me my own place where we are trying to piece together a  way to get me the aide support I need to live alone.  It's an exciting time, as that is what I've always wanted.

It's turning out to be complicated.  The government, in its wisdom, has separated the available money into various, smaller piles, each of which is supposed to serve a particular population.  That may work in theory, but in practice it can mean individuals can get caught in the cracks.  Individuals, not legalistic definitions of groups and subgroups, should drive such programs.

Making the programs work for individuals who don't fit neat definitions requires political acumen and creativity. Fortunately, the people working on my behalf have both.

No comments:

Post a Comment