Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Mom

Yesterday was Mom's 79th birthday.  I tease her that she was born the day before Abraham Lincoln.  She is a typical Hoosier-- generally easy going, friendly, funny, kind.  As far as I can tell, everybody who knows her loves her.

She is also a strong woman who devoted her life to her family.  I'm the eldest of five kids-- including twin sons five years behind me.  Mom got me in high school by going to the principal of her old high school and asking him to let me go there, even though we didn't live in that district.  The high school I should have gone to didn't want to take me-- something that wouldn't fly today.  So, I went to Mom and Dad's old school.  Mom took me to school every day except for my senior year when she was pregnant with her fifth child.  Then she took me to college classes for four years, bringing young Jon along when necessary.  Mom and Dad were married nearly fifty years, and during the last few years of his life, Mom was helping both Dad and me.

She is remarkable.

1 comment:

  1. What a beautiful tribute to your Mom,Greg!

    Thanks for sharing this, and belated happy birthday to this wonderful person!

    ReplyDelete