Friday, November 9, 2012

One Year Ago

One year ago this weekend, I entered the nursing home.  It was a tumultuous time for my family.  Mom was in the hospital, very sick.  Before it was over, she nearly died, had her gall bladder removed, had triple bypass heart surgery, and spent nearly three months in a rehabilitation center.  I was still undergoing cancer treatments at the time, too; I started a new round of treatment that next week.  All of that, plus other stuff, put our family under great pressure.

Today, I have my own apartment, and Mom is back living with my brother Jon and his family, where we both lived before the whole thing came apart.   I don't know how many times over the years previous I'd told Mom she needed to go to the doctor, but she wouldn't do it.  Finally, it took Jon's wife Angela simply taking Mom to the hospital to get the care she needed.  Angela saved Mom's life.

No comments:

Post a Comment