Thursday, March 29, 2012

Aide Approaches

In dealing with a number of different aides, I've noticed various approaches. Each has her own way of doing things. Sometimes I try to tell a new aide how to proceed, but usually I let them take the lead and see how things go.

Individual aides emphasize different aspects of their work. Some just do the minimum required; they are the least interesting. Some strip and wash me each morning; others only take my shirt off. Some brush my teeth, while others do not. Within that activity, some do a thorough job brushing my teeth, and some slap dash. A couple go so far as to brush my tongue. Some give me an Ensure every morning. Others don't. Still others give me part of an Ensure, but not all of it. Some only put my shoes on me if I ask them to do so.

It's that way through the day. Some have more patience feeding me than others. Some put me at my computer in my wheelchair because it's easier for them. Some open my bed at night, and others leave that to me.

Of course, individuals are different. I would've thought that professionals would approach a job like this with some common basic standards, however. Maybe they do, but there's wide variation from aide to aide.

In my own home, dealing with fewer aides, my life would be more consistent and predictable, allowing me to focus on other things.

No comments:

Post a Comment