Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Lunch

First, an update. I was weighed again yesterday, and I'm down to 90 pounds. Hopefully, we'll be able to reverse the downward trend.

That reversal didn't begin at lunch today. For starters, I didn't get lunch until 1. When she did bring it, the aide, whom I don't know, spent a lot of her time on her cell phone. I've had aides use their cells when they were with me before, but they always asked me if they could first. This one didn't ask. She gave me little to eat, even less to drink, and asked me if I were through. She was obviously ready to leave, so I went along with it. I was ready for her to leave, too. I should say, for her side, that I don't know how much people here eat. Maybe she gave me as much to eat as she gives other residents. Anyway, I didn't even go to the bathroom after eating, preferring to try to be sure she helped me get on the computer.

The sort of thing outlined above happens sometimes in big institutions, where some people are more interested in doing a good job than others. I understand that. Aides here regularly ask me to wait while they deal with somebody else, too. Maybe they ask everybody that, I don't know. It all goes to a basic case, however. If I had my own home, with aides, there'd be no one else there an aide would need to aid. If I only had a few aides, we'd develop friendships, and friends are treated better than just another nursing home resident.

No comments:

Post a Comment