Thursday, March 8, 2012

Weighty Matters

They weigh residents here regularly. The first time they weighed me, I weighed all of 95 pounds. The most recent time, I was down to 90. It's puzzling. I have a better, more varied diet here, and I generally eat most or all of what I'm given.

One factor might be that I'm not always given much. Elderly, sedentary people presumably don't eat much, and I presumably get the same portions they do. Asking for seconds is a possibility, but I'd need to pick my spots. Most of the aides who feed me now-- including several high school kids-- are good about it, but some clearly just want to get it over with, and I'm sure all of us, myself included, feel a certain time limit holds because the aides have other people who need their help.

This is not a complaint. I'm perfectly fine with getting meals over with as quickly as possible. The fact is, though, that my eating is influenced by this institutional setting. In my own home, the aide wouldn't be especially concerned with anybody else, and I could have seconds if I wanted-- and have home cooking again.

No comments:

Post a Comment