Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Broadening My Options

Mom and I used to take a day every so often and come over here to Indianapolis from Muncie and go to the mall-- not to buy anything, especially, but just to look around and be together. I also went to the occasional movie. Mom would take me to the theater and come back to get me when the movie was due to be over. I'd wander around Ball State's library on my own sometimes, too, just poking around for interesting stuff.

I'd enjoy having the option to do things like that again-- just get up in the morning and decide to do something that day. Now that I live near Indy, there are lots of possibilties, from my old friends the malls to movies to museums. Or maybe go to the occasional game. I've watched basketball games from Hinkle Fieldhouse for as long as I can remember; it'd be fun to see one there in person sometime. Similarly, I'd like to go back to Muncie and watch those mighty Ball State Cardinals a game or so a season.

There's a social director here, and I know they do things and go places. He has asked me if I wanted to join the activities, but I don't. I'm not really a social sort, and I'm not interested in doing activities just to be doing activities. If I had my own home with my own aides, maybe I could do some things that I want to do just because I want to do them. For most people, that's a big part of personal independence.

No comments:

Post a Comment