Thursday, April 5, 2012

Budget Concerns

Though the State of Indiana seems to be in reasonably good financial shape, the U. S. Government is deep in debt. Getting out of that hole will require reform of Medicare and Medicaid, among other things, and in this case, reform will mean substantially reducing the money spent on those programs. There is no option. So, if I can get into my own home with the help of government, will I be able to count on having it for as long as I need it?

Well, probably. There seems to be consensus among politicians that nothing should change in this area for anyone 55 and over, and I'm 57, so if this works out, I should be okay. Also, part of the reform may involve turning a lot of programs back to the states. So, if Indiana is convinced helping people stay out of traditional nursing homes is good public policy, I should be okay again.

Still, there are no guarantees in politically uncertain times. If the economy collapses again, thus both robbing government of tax revenue and increasing government spending, many bets might be off. I'm going to continue trying to sell my writing, and continue trying to find work. Just in case.

No comments:

Post a Comment