Monday, May 28, 2012

A Matter Of Control

I had another cancer treatment Friday, and I'm still trying to get my urination under control.  Over the weekend, urinating was quite painful.  Today, it's been less painful, but I've been going extremely frequently.  I went through all my pants this weekend, so much so that my sister Kim and sister-in-law Angela brought my extra pairs of pants from home Saturday, and my brother Jeff bought me a couple new pairs Sunday.  I also went through all my Depends, and my aides have had to get me more from the nursing home's supplies.  In fact, I went again while writing this post, and now I'm on my last pair of clean pants again until they bring my pants back from the laundry.

My aides have been really good about it all through these past few days, but I find it incredibly frustrating.  It feels as though I have no control over myself, and I hate that feeling.  I can only hope this is the worst day, and tomorrow will be back close to normal.  I gripe to my family about this, and they tell me it's necessary to avoid something worse.  They're right, of course, and I'm thankful these treatments are all I have to do.  Still, I have fleeting moments....

1 comment:

  1. Gregory - I heard about your blog at a recent state meeting of The Arc at Indy. I made a mental note of it and then read about it in their recent newsletter. What a remarkable and frustrating journey to independence you're on... I wish you all the best. My daughter is 23-years old and has Rett syndrome. Your blog reminds me of the frustrations she must deal with. She also has tremendous difficulty using her hands with purpose and, while she recently got an iPad, there's still quite a learning curve. I realize that I also need to somehow dedicate more time to helping her find a way to express herself and her needs.. She's pretty capable of communicating with body language and facial expressions, but goodness--your blog is a reminder to always regard her presence as an active participant in any situation. I hope you'll be feeling a bit better post-treatment!

    ReplyDelete